Primary Residence Tax Discount
Act 77, Senior Citizen Tax Relief, entitles qualified senior citizen homeowners to a flat 30% discount on the real estate tax on their primary residence.
The applicant must meet all three requirements:
- Property Ownership: Must have owned and occupied a primary residence in Allegheny County continuously for the past 10 years. A property owner who has moved within the past 10 years, and has continued to own and occupy the new property as a primary residence shall be eligible.
- Must be age 60 or older, or, if married, either spouse must be age 60.
- Be a widow or widower age 50 to 60 years.
- Permanently disabled and age 18 to 60 years.
3. The applicant must meet the required age by December 31, 2018 to qualify for tax relief in 2018.
Gross household income must be $30,000 or less.
For calculating income use only 50% of your Social Security Benefit, SSI, and Railroad Retirement Tier 1 Benefits (except Medicare benefits).
- Flat 30% discount of the real property tax on their primary residence for each year you are eligible.
- Receive an additional 2% discount by paying your county taxes in full by March 31.
- A second payment option allows eligible taxpayers, if they choose, to pay their gross county taxes in two equal installment payments, the first payment due by April 30 and the second by September 30.
- You continue to receive tax relief as long as you are the property owner/occupant and your household income does not exceed $30,000.
- Once approved, you are no longer required to file annually.
For specific questions regarding the County’s program or eligibility requirements, please call the Senior Tax Department at 412-350-3875.
More information regarding the Allegheny County Senior Citizen Tax Relief can be found on the Allegheny County Website at http://www.alleghenycounty.us/treasurers-office/senior-citizen-tax-relief.aspx.